Pittsburgh’s favorite food goes a bit international with purple Japanese sweet potatoes, red pepper flakes, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, and gentle white onions from Tiny Seed Farm. Served up with gorgeous shiitake and chanterelle mushrooms from Real Fungi LLC, these beauties are a lovely dinner all by themselves.
SPICED JAPANESE SWEET POTATO PIEROGI RECIPE
2 medium Japanese sweet potato
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp water
2 tbsp butter
2 cups AP flour
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp butter
4 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms from Real Fungi LLC
4 oz chanterelle mushrooms from Real Fungi LLC
1 white onion from Tiny Seed Farm
Fresh thyme for garnish
1. For the filling: Leave potatoes whole and unpeeled. Boil until a butter knife easily goes through the whole potato, and cool until you are able to handle them.
2. Peel the skin off each potato; the skin will easily come off the potatoes.
3. Cut into large chunks and press through a ricer or use a potato masher, until you get the texture of mashed potatoes.
4. Add spices and mix, set aside.
5. For the dough: Simmer water and butter but do not boil.
6. Pour over flour and salt, and knead with a stand mixer for roughly 5 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
7. Roll into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Let rest on counter for 30 minutes.
8. Roll out dough into a thin sheet. Using a wide-mouth Mason jar lid or cookie cutter, cut circles out of dough.
9. Place a teaspoon of potato filling in the center of each piece of dough.
10. Brush edges with egg wash, fold in half, and tightly seal the sides so no filling is able to come out.
11. Boil in salted water until they float to the top; strain.
12. Sauté in butter until each side of the pierogies are golden brown.
13. Toss in mushrooms and onions and quickly cook until softened. Garnish with sea salt and fresh thyme leaves.
RECIPE & STYLING BY ANNA CALABRESE / PHOTOGRAPHY BY DAVE BRYCE
TABLE MAGAZINE is proud to partner with Farm to Table and Buy Fresh Buy Local Western PA
As part of their mission to support and uplift local farms, they help us find farms, farm shares, farmers’ markets, and retailers who carry local farm products in our area. Visit farmtotablepa.com for more information.
TRY THESE OTHER GREAT PLATE RECIPES:
Sticky Eggplant with Pickled Garlic Blossoms
Pig Belly Marinated with Black Garlic & Fig with a Side of Bok Choy