Start with store-bought phyllo dough and a few ounces of Seven Sisters cheese from The Farm at Doe Run. Add a little melted butter and a slathering of Tait Farm Food’s Apple Pepper Jam. Before you know it, you have a remarkable hors d’oeuvre to pair with a local wine. Served with a healthy green salad, you can even serve them up as a Meatless Monday entrée.
CHEESY PEPPER JELLY CIGARS RECIPE
1 roll phyllo dough
1 stick butter, melted
4 oz Seven Sisters cheese from The Farm At Doe Run, grated
1 jar Tait Farm Food’s Apple Pepper Jam
1 egg, beaten
Sesame seeds for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Unroll phyllo dough and cut lengthwise so you have two long sides.
3. Take one layer and brush with melted butter, top with a second layer of dough, and brush with butter again.
4. Add one tablespoon grated cheese and 1 teaspoon jelly to one side of the dough, and roll tightly into a cigar-sized roll.
5. Repeat with the rest of your ingredients (should make roughly 24 “cigars”).
6. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
7. Brush each cigar with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
8. Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown and crispy.
RECIPE & STYLING BY ANNA CALABRESE / PHOTOGRAPHY BY DAVE BRYCE
TABLE MAGAZINE is proud to partner with Farm to Table and Buy Fresh Buy Local Western PA
As part of their mission to support and uplift local farms, they help us find farms, farm shares, farmers’ markets, and retailers who carry local farm products in our area. Visit farmtotablepa.com for more information.
TRY THESE OTHER GREAT PLATE RECIPES:
Sticky Eggplant with Pickled Garlic Blossoms
Spiced Japanese Sweet Potato Pierogi
Pig Belly Marinated with Black Garlic & Fig with a Side of Bok Choy