Glossy and gorgeous Japanese eggplant from Who Cooks For You Farm caught Contributing Editor Anna Calabrese’s eye. They will easily captivate your taste buds with a quick sauté in a sweet-and-spicy gravy of Indonesian sambal, Thai chili sauce, hoisin sauce, soy, red pepper, and Bumbleberry Farm‘s honey. The flavor profile here is like a quick trip to Southeast Asia, and will be a wonderful break from your usual winter fare.
STICKY EGGPLANT GARNISHED WITH PICKLED GARLIC BLOSSOMS RECIPE
2 medium or 10 mini-size Japanese eggplant from Who Cooks For You Farm
1 tbsp Bumbleberry Farms honey
1 tbsp sambal
1 tbsp unagi (eel) sauce
1 tbsp sweet Thai chili sauce
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1. Cut eggplant into bite-sized pieces.
2. Mix honey, sambal, unagi, Thai chili sauce, hoisin, red pepper flakes, and soy sauce together.
3. Sauté in butter over high heat until browned.
4. Pour sauce over eggplant and simmer until sauce is reduced and sticky.
5. Garnish with sesame seeds.
PICKLED GARLIC BLOSSOMS RECIPE
15-20 garlic scape blossoms (or garlic cloves if blossoms aren’t available)
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp chili flakes
1 sprig fresh dill
1 tsp mustard seed
1. Place garlic blossoms into a cleaned and sanitized jar.
2. Bring pickling liquid ingredients to a boil.
3. Pour into jar, cover with lid, and refrigerate for at least 2 weeks. This will store in the fridge indefinitely.
RECIPE & STYLING BY ANNA CALABRESE / PHOTOGRAPHY BY DAVE BRYCE
TABLE MAGAZINE is proud to partner with Farm to Table and Buy Fresh Buy Local Western PA
As part of their mission to support and uplift local farms, they help us find farms, farm shares, farmers’ markets, and retailers who carry local farm products in our area. Visit farmtotablepa.com for more information.
TRY THESE OTHER GREAT PLATE RECIPES:
Spiced Japanese Sweet Potato Pierogi
Pig Belly Marinated with Black Garlic & Fig with a Side of Bok Choy