Strawberry desserts make for a beautiful presentation. The ripened, bright red berries are not only a vision of summer, but they are also sweet and delicious and smell quite delightful. Impress your guests with this lovely dessert from TABLE contributor Anna Calabrese. But watch carefully after that first cut. This dessert seems to hold a magical quality, and it will disappear before your very eyes.
Strawberry Honey Galette Recipe
For the filling:
2 cups milk
¼ cup local honey
2 egg yolks
⅓ cup white sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 lb sliced strawberries, tossed with 2 tbsp. local honey
1 store-bought pie crust
- Stir together milk and 1/4 cup honey in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Whisk together egg yolks and egg in a medium bowl.
- Stir together 1/3 cup sugar and cornstarch in a separate bowl; stir into eggs until smooth.
- Pour boiled milk into egg mixture in a thin stream while mixing so eggs do not cook. Return egg mixture to the saucepan; slowly bring to a boil, stirring constantly to prevent curdling and scorching. When mixture thickens, remove from the heat and stir in butter and vanilla until thoroughly blended.
- Pour into a container and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent skin from forming. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, place pie crust in a pie pan or baking sheet, and blind bake until the crust is golden brown, remove from oven and cool.
- Place chilled pastry cream in pre-cooked pie crust and spread evenly. Top with sliced strawberries and drizzle with additional honey.
- Serve cold.
Recipe and Styling by Anna Calabrese / Photography by Dave Bryce / Story by Star Laliberte
Subscribe to TABLE Magazine’s print edition.