Don’t let appearances deceive you. These vegetarian squash tacos are bursting with an abundance of flavors and packed with all the goodness your body craves. Whether it’s Taco Tuesday or any other day of the week, these babies will hit the spot like no other.
Here’s the secret to taking these beauties to a whole new level of indulgence. Picture this: crumbled feta or goat cheese delicately sprinkled on top, lending that luxurious richness. And remember the roasted pumpkin seeds, adding a delightful crunch and a touch of creaminess.
So, if you’re searching for a meat-free marvel, look no further. These vegetarian squash tacos will have you rejoicing with every mouthwatering bite. Trust me, my friends; this is a culinary experience you won’t want to miss.
Roasted Squash Tacos with Sriracha Mayonnaise Recipe
1-2 yellow squash
1 green zucchini
1 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2-3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 + 1 tsp chili pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cup purple cabbage, thinly sliced
1 cup green cabbage, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cans black beans
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup cilantro, minced
1 cup mayonnaise
2-3 tbsp Sriracha
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 corn tortillas
1 avocado, sliced
1-2 jalapeños, seeded and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut yellow squash and green zucchini into same-size chunks, then spread them onto a baking sheet along with the butternut squash and the red onion. Drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and the juice of one lime, and sprinkle with chili pepper, garlic powder, oregano, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Toss to coat and then roast in the oven for about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cabbage slaw: in a medium-sized bowl, combine the purple and green cabbage, black beans, green onion, cilantro, juice of the other lime, 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, chili pepper, salt, and black pepper. Toss to combine, and set aside to marinate.For the Sriracha mayonnaise, place mayonnaise, Sriracha, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Warm the tortillas on each side on a small skillet over medium heat, transfer to a plate, and cover with a towel to keep warm. Repeat with each one, stacking them on top of each other.
- To assemble the tacos, place a spoonful of cabbage slaw in the center of each taco, top with some roasted squash and a few slices of avocado. Garnish with jalapeño slices and some cilantro leaves, and serve immediately with the Sriracha mayonnaise on the side.
STORY, STYLING, AND PHOTOGRAPHY BY SARA GHEDINA
Don’t miss a single delicious thing!