We challenge you to come up with a better way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, or any day of the year, than with these Pork Belly Tacos featuring Oyster Mushrooms and Pajeori.
PORK BELLY TACOS RECIPE
1 lb pork belly, sliced to your preference (thick or thin)
1 package oyster mushrooms
9 large scallions (green parts only)
⅓ cup Kewpie mayo
2 tsp Doenjang paste
Sesame seeds for garnish
INGREDIENTS FOR PAJEORI SAUCE
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp gochugaru
1 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tsp white vinegar
- Pour a little sesame oil over the sliced pork belly. Season generously with black pepper.
- Sear the pork belly on a grill or cast iron skillet. Set aside.
- Then, grill the oyster mushrooms in the same pan and set aside.
- Thinly slice the green parts of your scallion lengthwise with a sharp knife. Combine all the ingredients for the pajeori marinade, but do not add to the green onions until you are ready to assemble the tacos.
- Stir the doenjang paste and mayo together. Adjust the amount of the paste you use to your taste preference.
- Heat your tortillas on a hot pan and assemble while still warm.
- To assemble the tacos, spread the seasoned mayo on a tortilla, top with the pork belly, mushrooms, and the green onion pajeori. Garnish with some sesame seeds and enjoy!
RECIPE BY VEDA SANKARAN / STYLING BY ANNA CALABRESE / PHOTOGRAPHY BY DAVE BRYCE
Looking for a meatless entree option for Cinco de Mayo? Try these Crispy Cauliflower Tacos.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to TABLE Magazine’s print edition.