Fall flavors plus the eternal appeal of crème brûlée
ORANGE & FIG CREME BRÛLÉE TARTS RECIPE
For the dough:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp. Liokareas Orange Olive Oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the filling:
2 egg yolks
3 tablespoons sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
For the topping:
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup Liokareas Dried Figs
2 earl gray teabags
1 cup boiling water
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9-inch tart pan with 1-inch rim and removable bottom (or 6 small tart pans) with cooking spray. In small bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
2. In large bowl, beat butter, olive oil and 1/2 cup sugar with spoon until blended. Beat in 1 egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in flour mixture until well blended. Pat and press dough very firmly with floured fingers in bottom and up side of tart pan. Place tart pan on rimmed baking sheet.
3. Bake 10 to 14 minutes or until crust is set in center but still pale. Cool 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat egg yolks, 1 egg and 3 tablespoons sugar with whisk. Beat in whipping cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Place tart pan on rimmed baking sheet. Pour egg mixture into partially baked crust. Carefully transfer to oven on baking sheet.
5. Bake 30 to 34 minutes or until custard layer is just set. Cool on cooling rack 30 minutes. Refrigerate uncovered at least 2 hours.
6. While the tart is baking, steep the earl gray teabags in 1 cup boiling water. Pour over dried figs and let soak until ready to top the tarts.
7. Before serving, set oven control to broil. Cover crust edge with 2- to 3-inch wide strip of foil to prevent excessive browning. Sprinkle top of tart with 2 tablespoons sugar and soaked figs. Place tart pan on rimmed baking sheet with top about 5 inches from heat. Broil 1 to 2 minutes or until top is brown and sugar is melted. Garnish with orange zest.
Recipe and Styling by Anna Calabrese / Photography by Laura Petrilla
Try these other delicious dessert recipes: