With no included nuts or dairy, this easy, allergy-friendly pesto recipe is perfect for vegans and those with nut allergies. It utilizes summer basil for a flavorful dense dressing option that will brighten up grilled or roasted vegetables — a little goes a long way. Use our Nut and Dairy Free Pesto and Summer Vegetables as a side dish, appetizer, in a tapas situation.
TABLE Magazine friend and collaborator Kristen Palmer created this recipe with healthy, supportive ingredients in mind. A graduate of New York’s Natural Gourmet Institute, where she focused on nutrition and health along with formal culinary techniques, Kristen has worked as a private chef for the Pittsburgh Ballet. Her recipes center on nutrient-dense, body-beneficial foods.
Nut and Dairy Free Pesto and Summer Vegetables
For the Pesto:
1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
5 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp agave
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutritional yeast
1-2 tbsp of water to loose
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
For the Vegetables:
3 red, yellow, and orange bell peppers
1 red onion
For the Marinade:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
Juice of 1/2 lemon
4 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp salt
- Cut zucchini into 1/2” planks.
- Remove the stem and seeds of peppers and cut into quarters.
- Cut onion into 1/2” rings.
- Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour over prepared vegetables.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and allow to sit while you prepare grill or pan for roasting.
- Broil or grill until tender and slightly charred. Serve with pesto.
Recipe by Kristen Palmer / Styling by Anna Calabrese / Photography by Dave Bryce
Subscribe to TABLE Magazine’s print edition.