A very special treat for a cold-weather brunch or an after-school snack any time of year, baked donuts topped with buttery crumb and delicious Soergel Orchards Pumpkin Pecan Apple Butter are a crowd pleaser. Young and old alike will be back for seconds, and you’ll be inspired to try the recipe with other fruit butters, as well.
Crumb Cake Donuts Recipe
FOR THE TOPPING:
2 cups brown sugar
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter, melted + more if needed
3 cups all-purpose flour
- Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the melted butter, then gently mix in the flour, being careful not to overmix (you just want to moisten the flour and mix until there is no visible dryness).
- Keep the mixture in large clumps. Set aside.
FOR THE DONUTS:
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¾ cups butter
1½ cups sugar
2 large eggs
1¼ cups buttermilk
1½ tsp vanilla
Soergel Orchards Pumpkin Pecan Apple Butter
½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a donut baking pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, beat the softened butter in a large bowl until light. Add sugar and beat until creamy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating until well-blended after each addition. Add buttermilk and vanilla; beat just until blended.
- Add flour mixture in 3 additions, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Transfer cake batter to prepared baking pan (the batter will be thick), spreading it evenly in each donut mold.
- Hand-squeeze small handfuls of topping together and crumble clumps evenly over cake batter. Add small spoonfuls of Soergel’s fruit butter, covering each donut with a thick layer.
- Bake 45 minutes to an hour or until the tester comes out clean and topping is deep golden brown and a little crisp.
- Cool cake in pan on rack at least 30 minutes. Remove, dust with powdered sugar, and serve.
Recipe and Styling by Anna Calabrese / Photography by Dave Bryce
TABLE Magazine is proud to partner with Farm to Table and Buy Fresh Buy Local Western PA. As part of their mission to support and uplift local farms, they help us find farms, farm shares, farmers’ markets, and retailers who carry local farm products in our area. Visit farmtotablepa.com for more information.
Subscribe to TABLE Magazine’s print edition.