This Caramelized Fennel, Onion and Pea Soup recipe is a warming and delectable winter soup created by Chef Rachel of the now-closed Pair With Dead Oak in California. Her menus fused together varying local ingredients seasoned with warm spices and decadent textures.
Caramelized Fennel, Onion and Pea Soup Recipe
½ cup butter
1 fennel bulb, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup vegetable stock
1 lb bag frozen peas
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 tsp salt
Pepitas, for garnish
Crema, for garnish
- In large saucepan melt butter on high heat, reduce heat to medium and then add fennel, onions, and sugar, stirring occasionally. When butter is getting brown add garlic powder, top with vegetable stock, and turn heat up to high. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add frozen peas, cream, and salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Carefully add mixture to blender: blend starting on low then gradually to high. If mixture is too thick, add more stock.
- Pour soup back into saucepan; add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, top with pepitas and crema.
Read here for insight and information with which to plan your trip to California’s Central Coast.
Story by Natalya Sutmiller / Photography Hugo Martinez Visuals
Subscribe to TABLE Magazine’s print edition.